31 October 2009

Remembering


Grandmommy, Me and Bommy circa mid 1980's

As of Saturday morning, I've lost both of my grandmothers in 2009. This time has compelled me to reflect on some of what these two women have brought to my life...


When I think of Grandmommy, my maternal grandmother, I see Colorado. I will never forget the summer days and months spent working in the dirt, picking berries, making jam, fishing, rafting, and playing cards (usually high stakes penny-poker) late into the night. I don't think I'll ever be able to smell coffee and bacon without picturing Grandmommy in her robe and slippers, standing at the kitchen stove on a cool Colorado morning. She was a South Dakota girl and University of Nebraska graduate. A United stewardess who married a WWII fighter pilot. Grandmommy taught me how to shuffle playing cards, wear panty-hose and make my bed to military standards. Though, I really think her greatest gift was her generosity. She shared everything with those she loved (Her stories, her laughter and food...This woman never ate a meal without offering up something on her plate..."I have a chicken wing for sale!"). Grandmommy gave me a love and appreciation for the natural world...and more importantly, a deep understanding of what it meant to be family. She showed me how to give all of myself.

What can I say about Bommy? It's more difficult to describe what she's given me, because our time together was cut short. Six years of Alzheimer's have left a legacy of family stories, but not as many personal experiences. From the years I did have with my paternal grandmother, I can remember cowboy breakfasts (potatoes and eggs with ketchup), hidden chocolate chips, making gnocchi and Italy. (Much like bacon and coffee with Grandmommy, the smell of pecorino will forever remind me of Bommy.) Bommy was an Italian girl born in New York. A graduate of Keuka College. She traveled to Europe during the Korean War, where she met and married a U.S. soldier stationed in Germany. I think more than anything, Bommy gave me inspiration. Going through some of her things, I found a newspaper clipping from 1991...there was a photo of Bommy standing in the front lines of a Gulf War protest. Attached to the article was a hand written note, "I did this for my children, their children and their children etc.". How many 60-something grandmothers are war protesters? Mine was. Bommy inspires me to say what I believe, to travel and to find beauty in this world. I really don't know if I would have gone to Italy had it not been for Bommy. For this, I am eternally grateful.

These two women have influenced my life in more ways than I will ever be able to write about...or even understand, but I do know that I have been so incredibly blessed to have been loved by these beautiful and strong women. xxxooo

1 comment: