19 July 2010

Life Update

Ok...well...I guess now would be a good time to tell you all that I'm in Texas! My man got a temporary position at the Houston Press, and I decided to drive out and help him get settled for a few weeks. The idea of experiencing a new place also seemed pretty exciting! At this point I'm unsure as to how long I'll be in Houston, but am planning to come home towards the end of August. I will continue to look for Southern California teaching jobs...my hope is that I'll have to come home for an interview in the coming weeks! In the meantime I'll share my adventures!


The drive from Orange County to Houston took about 27 hours. There were definitely some memorable moments along the way...including the three hour rest stop nap at 2:00 am, the license plate game,  and getting stuck in the wildest thunder/lightening/hail storm in Arizona! I'd like to think that I'm a pretty experienced road tripper (my family drives to Colorado every summer), but this one was rough! Thank goodness we had some good music and comedy downloads to keep us sane (I use that term very loosely...I know I lost my sanity around mile 1,510).


Needless to say, we made it safe and sound and are now getting moved in to the new apartment. So far I'm liking Houston. The people here are really nice. It's odd to me how friendly everyone is! I guess it's that famous southern hospitality. The weather is hot and humid, but bearable. I will be interested to see how my thoughts about this city and its people develop. I'm excited to explore and eat some BBQ...but I'm REALLY excited about the prospect of taking a trip to New Orleans! It's only five hours from Houston, and we're thinking of driving out next weekend! I've never been to the south, so these next few weeks will definitely be an adventure!


For now I'm going to set off and try to find the nearest Whole Foods! Hope ya'll have a wonderful week! xo




image via mary ruffle

No comments:

Post a Comment