06 January 2010

Before It's Over


After a family dinner last week, one of my brothers revealed he could not be truly content until he'd determined the purpose of life. After hours of unanswerable questioning, we began to define life in terms of meaning. Does meaning come before or after death? For many, purpose and meaning are determined by the afterlife. Do you live a sinless existence with hopes for heaven? For those of us who aren't totally sold on the idea of the afterlife, purpose and meaning come from each living day.

I'm reminded of a recent Woody Allen film, in which an Allen-inspired character continually suffers from panic attacks. Throughout the film this particular character yells out, "I'm DYING!" He's not dying in any immediate sense, but the inevitability of the end is just too much. It's humorous, but it's true! There's no question there will be an end to our realities as they are known. The question is how we will find purpose and make meaning before it's over. For me, this means much more loving and learning.


image via ffffound

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chasen Marshall likes this. Quite profound, Ms. Willett. I've had this convo with people before (though usually in a humorous context), and it seems rather clear that the purpose of life is different from person to person. I think it's irrational to believe there is one sole purpose. In "Bonfire of the Vanities," one of the characters claims that the purpose of life is to reproduce. Some think it's to make as much money and live as lavishly as possible. Others would say if you can die with a smile on your face, life may not have been all that bad. The purpose of life for me? Finding the best bratwurst known to man. (Hey, it's my life, I'll find purpose where I want to!)

    ReplyDelete